Friday, November 9, 2012

Vegetable Rolls

 
 
 

The options are endless when cooking vegetarian meals. I like to experiment to make my meals as interesting and creative as possible.

Vegetable rolls are one of my favourite things to cook. I try to make a big batch and freeze them ready for the lunch box or a quick snack.
 
I bought puff pastry to speed up the cooking process. When buying pastry make sure you read the ingredients on the back of the packet and watch out for numbers.  

Clear Tip:
Always read labels, the least amount of ingredients in a packaged good is always the best option. If possible try to stay away from numbers.

 
 
 
Benefits of Lentils:
 
- High in iron
- Great source of B vitamins
- Lowers cholesterol
- Packed with protein
- High in fiber
 


 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
You can make a cut into the pastry if you would like mini rolls or leave them long.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Recipe:
 
Pumpkin mix:
2 cups pumpkin cut into cubes - steamed
300g spinach leaves
100g ricotta
1 tsp. cumin  
 
Lentil mix:

1 tin Lentils
½ onion
½ zucchini grated
1 carrot grated
1 cup diced mushrooms
Salt and pepper to taste
2 tbsp. red wine

 
4 Sheets of frozen puff pastry cut into four pieces
1 tbsp. sesame seeds
1 egg (optional) or olive oil for brushing

Preheat oven 170*

      1.       Cook the Pumpkin in a steamer for 3-4 minutes until tender.

2.       Mash pumpkin in a bowl, add spinach, ricotta and cumin and mix together.

3.       Allow to cool. 

1.       Cook lentils and onion in a pan on low heat with a tbsp. olive oil for a few minutes.

2.       Add zucchini, carrot, mushrooms, salt and pepper and red wine.

3.       Allow to cool.
 

Add the cooled mixtures to the pastry. Fold the pastry over into a roll. Brush the top of the Vegetable Roll with egg and sprinkle a few sesame seeds on top.

Place the rolls onto grease proof paper and cook in the oven for 10-15 minutes or until golden brown.

Serve with a fresh garden salad.

Enjoy
 
Peace n Love
Jeanette


3 comments:

  1. What a nice recipe! And looks like it is easy to prepare. My only problem with cooking, that I always overcook things... But hopefully this will be my lucky meal :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So was this your lucky meal? How did you go with them? :)

      Delete
  2. Inspiring writings and I greatly admired what you have to say , I hope you continue to provide new ideas for us all and greetings success always for you..Keep update more information..
    https://www.neoyogaindia.com/

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts. Please feel free to leave a comment and I will do my best to get back to you as quickly as I can.

Peace n Love